Most brides have a full team of beauty experts to get them ready on their big day, but ever since word got out that Kate Middleton did her own face on her big day, it doesn't seem so impossible to DIY. For my best friend's wedding, she asked me to do all of the makeup for the girls! Though I've done each of their makeup countless times for nights out, I was still nervous to be doing it on such a momentous and documented occasion! If you end up doing your own makeup on your wedding day, here are a few tips to make sure that makeup goes on & stays on for that loooooong day:
photo by isis photography
On a day when you could be indoors, outdoors, laughing, crying and dancing, you need your makeup to last. There are a few products that can really help things stay in place.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Just a single pump of this silky, clear primer can be spread over your entire face & it works to fill in small wrinkles and pores and makes a smooth surface for foundation.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- Applying this magic cream to your eyelids before applying any eye makeup helps to increase the colour payoff and also completely stops your shadows from creasing or falling out. This isn't just a special occasion product for me; it's a must have for every single day.
- Skindinavia Bridal Makeup Finish Setting Spray
- If you tend to get a greasy t-zone after long days with a full face of makeup, this product is a godsend! The fine mist acts to seal your makeup and somehow magically reduces the greasyness that tends to happen. It even worked well as a non-shine spray on groomsmens' faces!
Everyone wants to look radiantly beautiful but "natural", so it's important to pick the right colours to match your skintone.
- Makeup Forever HD Foundation
- This foundation has great coverage and gives a naturally luminous look to your skin. Make sure to get matched for your correct foundation colour by applying some to your jawline. If you've gained or lost a tan sometime between buying your foundation and your wedding, make sure to get a new foundation so that your face matches your body!
- Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette
- These palettes of eyeshadows have received a cult-like following because of the collection of high quality shadows in amazingly versatile shades. All of the colours seem to go amazingly together and flatter all skintones. I was able to use different combinations of colours all from this one palette to do everyone's makeup, including the mother of the bride!
You've got the right colours & the stuff to prime & seal you in-- here are some of my other beauty faves:
- Beauty Blender
- I've been skipping the foundation brush for this cute little sponge. Simply wet it & then pick up some foundation and apply in a dabbing motion to get an amazing airbrushed looking application. The pointed end helps to get those little spots under the eyes and around the nose.
- Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets
- Carry these along and be sure to dab those foreheads and noses every few hours. And then you can finish with a re-spritz of the setting spray!
photo by isis photography
While for some, it's not realistic to do your own makeup on a potentially rushed and stressful day, for me, it was a pleasure and an honour. To be able to contribute to a wedding and to get that personal time with each of the ladies on that day was so special! Even if these tips don't apply for your wedding day, use some of these products on a regular basis and see how much longer your makeup can last!
Would you ever do your own wedding makeup? Would you ask a friend to do it?